Ian McCluskey, founder & principal of Thought Leadership International, Ian showcases the talents of senior executives through thought leadership, by developing and publishing bylined articles and leveraging those articles into seminars, webinars and other speaking engagements.
Ian launched Thought Leadership International in January 2010 after serving one year as director of thought leadership at Kroll, a global risk consultancy. He continues to produce the Tendencias e-newsletter for Kroll, as well as a number of in-house events. He is involved in the production or co-production of events related to international business in Miami and in Latin America.
Ian currently serves on the board of the Miami Finance Forum and as the thought leadership chair on the board of OWIT, the Organization of Women in International Trade. Ian is also a member of the Thunderbird Global Council at the Thunderbird School of Global Management and is past chair of the Executive MBA Advisory Council at Florida International University’s College of Business. In January 2009, Ian joined Kroll Latin America as director of thought leadership, a position that was custom-designed for his experience in writing, editing and events production.
Prior to Kroll, Ian spent four years as publisher of WorldCity Business magazine, a publication focused on South Florida’s multinational business community. At WorldCity, Ian ran a monthly breakfast event series for international business executives called Connections, as well as a monthly CEO roundtable for regional heads of multinational companies based in Miami.
Before joining WorldCity, Ian was editor-in-chief and publisher of AmericaEconomia, a Spanish and Portuguese-language business publication, based in Chile and distributed throughout Latin America. Ian got his start in the media business in the late 1980′s in Brazil, as editor and part owner of BrazilWatch, a political and economic newsletter. He later served as the Latin America correspondent for Time magazine in Brazil for five years and one year as the Sao Paulo Bureau Chief for Bloomberg News.
Ian lived almost 20 years in Latin America, where he began his career by working as a foreign debt negotiator for Canada’s Export Development Corp. and spent three years as a Canadian diplomat in Brasilia.
Ian has a bachelor’s degree in international relations from the University of Toronto and a master’s in business administration (MBA) from the Thunderbird School of Global Management. He speaks English, Spanish, Portuguese and French.
Noteworthy Experience and Achievements
- Jan 2009-Dec 2009 · Director of Thought Leadership at Kroll Latin America, based in Miami.
- Oct 2004-Oct 2008 · Editor and publisher of WorldCity, a Miami-based media company that focuses on South Florida’s multinational business community and Miami’s links to the global economy.
- Jan 2002-Aug 2004 · Miami-based publisher of AmericaEconomia, a pan-regional business publication distributed throughout Latin America in Spanish and Portuguese.
- Nov 1999-Dec 2002 · Editor-in-Chief of AmericaEconomia magazine based in Santiago, Chile.
- Nov 1997-June 1999 · Editor of the Brazilian edition of AmericaEconomia based in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Jan 1997-Nov 1997 · Sao Paulo bureau chief for Bloomberg News based in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Sept .1991-Dec.1996 · Correspondent for Time magazine, reporting and writing stories from Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela and other countries in South America.
- Sept. 1988-July 1991 · Co-editor of Brazil Watch, a biweekly newsletter covering financial markets, business, the economy and politics, based in Brasilia, Brazil.
- Sept. 1985-Sept. 1988 · Commercial First Secretary at the Canadian Embassy in Brasilia, responsible for bilateral issues related to foreign debt, trade and economic policy
- Sept. 1982-Aug. 1985 · Export Financing Officer, Export Development Corporation (EDC), in Ottawa, Canada.